The Freedom of Information Act 2000 allows the public a right of access, on request, to information held by public authorities. As a public body Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust therefore has a duty to comply with the disclosure of its recorded information.
Although there are no limits on what the public can request, the Trust might have to withhold some information if it is subject to one of the exemptions defined in the Act. If this is the case the Trust will provide a response explaining why the information was withheld.
This Act does not allow people a right of access to their own personal data such as their health or personnel records. If a member of the public wishes to see information that the Trust hold about them then a Subject Access Request should be made under the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act
- Please check our Publication Scheme and Transparency section to see if they contain the information you require.
- Check the FOI disclosure log (if available) as your information may have been provided as part of a previous request.
- If you still haven’t found what you are looking for then please make a request to us in writing either by letter or email. The Trust cannot accept a verbal request for information.
- Ensure that you include a contact name and address in your request. This can be a physical or email address as long as we know where to forward your response.
- Try to include as much detail as possible, in your request, about the information you require. This helps us when processing your request.
- Please be aware that the Act operates an appropriate cost limit. Therefore if the time and resource taken to provide your information exceeds that limit the Trust can apply a charge to your request. If this is the case the Trust will provide you with a fees notice and advise that you narrow the scope of your request.
For further details on the Freedom of Information Act 2000, exemptions, the appropriate cost limit and more please visit the Information Commissioner’s website: www.ico.gov.uk
Making a request Electronically
Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Making a request by Post
- Write to:
Information Governance Team
Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
For further information on the Act or guidance in any Information Governance issues please contact us on 01226 432017.