When you need advice, have concerns or don’t know where to turn, Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is here to help.
Being a patient, carer or relative of someone in hospital can be a worrying or confusing time. Sometimes you will need to turn to someone for on-the-spot help, advice and support.
PALS offers just this and is situated just inside the main entrance to the hospital.
The desk is staffed by a mixture of employees and volunteers who are on hand to guide you, your family and friends through the different services available within hospitals, health centres and GP practices in Barnsley.
PALs staff will help with everything from finding your way around the building and general enquiries to confidential discussions about the care you receive.
PALS can also support you if you wish to make a complaint or leave feedback about the hospital.
Can anyone use PALS?
Yes. The service is here to help anyone with a query and if we can’t offer you help immediately, we will find someone who can. We may want to take your details and come back to you.
Is the service confidential?
Yes. Everyone working in the NHS has a duty to keep any information about you confidential. You have a right to see any records we may keep regarding your enquiries.
What PALS doesn’t offer
- Detailed medical information
- Advice on private medical care
Additional PALS support
A range of written information regarding local support groups and contacts.
Volunteers and staff members to help you with all your queries and to direct you to the most appropriate area or person.
- Information on how to access the complaints procedure
- General information relating to a range of surgical procedures, tests and appointments
- Guidance in relation to the provision of advocacy services available
- Information on how you may become involved in the work of the Trust as a member or volunteer
- Information about the health care services provided in Barnsley
- Contact details for local support and voluntary organisations
If you have questions about health care provided to you outside Barnsley, we will work with PALS in neighbouring areas.
We will listen to your comments, and ensure they are used to help improve services.
To find out more or to get in touch with us, please contact the PALS office:
- 01226 432430.