Staff from Barnsley Hospital traded in their uniforms for cocktail dresses and bow ties at the annual Barnsley Hospital Charity Heart Awards on Thursday 1 June. The awards were held at the Holiday Inn, Dodworth.
The Heart Awards celebrated, for the eighth consecutive year, the hard work and dedication of Barnsley Hospital staff and volunteers. Members of staff were able to nominate their peers and patients had the opportunity to put forward their nominations in the Patient’s Choice category. Over 200 nominations were made in total.
The awards were a huge success, with almost 300 guests attending the ceremony, hosted by BBC Look North’s Harry Gration, which aimed to recognise the commitment of Barnsley Hospital staff and volunteers.
Lisa Weightman, Dental Nurse and Clerical Manager, celebrated after winning the Brilliant Staff Individual award which recognised staff that had shown dedication, drive, determination and extraordinary levels of hard work. Our Learning and Development Admin Team also celebrated after winning the Team Outstanding Achievement Non-clinical Award.
The Chairman’s Award went to the Barnsley Assistive Technology Team. The team cover the north of England assisting the most vulnerable of patients with adaptations and communication aids to enhance their daily living.
Chairman, Stephen Wragg, said: “The Heart Awards are always a fantastic occasion. Its really enjoyable to get together to celebrate hard work of our staff and volunteers. Reading the nominations makes me proud to work for this organisation. Well done to everyone that was nominated, particularly to our winners.”
Barnsley Hospital would like to thank all organisations that kindly sponsored the awards and provided their services which made the event possible.
The full list of 2017 winners is:
BRILLIANT Individual Staff Award
- WINNER – Lisa Weightman, Dental Nurse and Clerical Manager
BRILLIANT Team Staff Award
- WINNER – Inpatient Surgical Unit
- WINNER – Jenny Denton, Medicines Management Technician
Individual Outstanding Achievement Clinical
- WINNER – Susanne Wignall, Staff Nurse
Individual Outstanding Achievement Non-clinical
- WINNER – Gareth Hughes, Information Officer
- WINNER – Lindsay Reynolds, Sister
- Vital PAC Team
Patient’s Choice Award
- WINNER – Kirsty Southey, Paediatric Diabetes Dietician
Team Outstanding Achievement Clinical
- WINNER – Theatre 5 Urology
Team Outstanding Achievement Non-clinical
- WINNER – Learning and Development Admin Team
Volunteer of the Year Award
- WINNER – Marie Mills, Surgical Outpatient Volunteer
- WINNER – Yasmeen Akhtar, Mental Health Midwife
Chief Executive’s Award
- WINNER – Early Pregnancy Team
- WINNER – Barnsley Assistive Technology Team