Barnsley Hospital’s care of the elderly ward is celebrating this week after taking home not one, but three awards at the hospital’s prestigious award ceremony on Friday evening.
More than 200 guests attended the hospital’s third annual HEART awards at the Holiday Inn, Barnsley, hosted by BBC Look North’s Harry Gration, to celebrate the dedication and achievements of hard working staff and volunteers
Ward 19’s lead nurse, Vicky Faxon-Wastnage won the outstanding achievement award for inspiring all ward staff to be passionate about delivering ‘amazing care for elderly and dementia patients’ and organising a programme of events for staff and patients throughout the year. Ward 19 also collectively went on to pick up the ‘patient safety’ award and the ‘top team’ award.
In an unprecedented move the coveted Chairman’s award was not presented to the overall winner of categories but the antenatal ward, set up by lead midwife Sarah Stables.
Chairman Stephen Wragg said: “It was a pleasure to be able to present ward 11 with the Chairman’s award.
During the judging process they consistently came up as being strong in a number of categories and it was just a case of them being up against tough opposition that meant they did not receive an individual award.
He went on to say “The evening has been a great success and it is wonderful for all staff to celebrate and share in the achievements of the individuals and teams in the hospital who are involved in taking care of our patients, staff and visitors.”
More than 100 nominations from hospital staff and volunteers were received for the awards.
Full list of winners:
- BRILLIANT staff award – showing dedication and unparalleled levels of hard work to do things better: JUNE POLLARD, SPECIALIST MIDWIFE
- Sustainability award – working to reduce the hospital’s carbon footprint: MICK BAILEY, ESTATES MANAGER
- Innovation award – applying new creative ideas to healthcare: SISTER PAULA MCKNIGHT & STAFF NURSE JANINE FIRTH, EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT
- Outstanding achievement or improvement award – demonstrating excellence to inspire others: VICKY FAXON-WASTNAGE, LEAD NURSE WARD 19
- Patient safety award – using initiative to put safety at the top of the agenda: WARD 19
- Partnership working award – working with internal or external partners to deliver better service and care: TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE IT BETTER’S AGENTS FOR CHANGE
- Lesley Lee, patient experience award – making a positive impact on patient experience: DR TIM WENHAM
- Healthy workplace award – a positive approach towards health and wellbeing colleagues: TRACEY BOSTWICK & ALLEN HITCHEN
- Top team award – working together to deliver shared goals: WARD 19
- Chairman’s award – specially chosen by our Chairman, Stephen Wragg: WARD 11
Photos from the awards
The event was funded entirely through sponsorship, donations and ticket sales.