Use Google Maps to find the Hospital
Travelling by car
The hospital is clearly signposted from Barnsley town centre and from the M1 junction.
Enter the hospital postcode S75 2EP on the relevant sites or on your satnav.
We have 632 public parking spaces in total, 343 within the immediate grounds of the hospital, and 289 spaces in a new car park on Pogmoor Road more car parking info.
Public transport Services are provided by a number of companies from throughout the Barnsley District. To plan your journey use the Travel South Yorkshire journey planner.
- Travel by bus
Barnsley Hospital is extremely well served by buses in and around the borough and for this reason, we encourage patients, visitors and staff to use them.Buses run almost every five minutes from town centre Monday to Sunday.
- Travel by train
There are regular train services to Barnsley from Huddersfield, Leeds and Sheffield. From Barnsley Transport Interchange, you will probably find it easier to catch a bus or taxi to the hospital.
To plan your journey use the Travel South Yorkshire journey planner.
By foot from Barnsley town centre
Barnsley Hospital is about a 20-minute walk from the town centre.
- From Town End (Summer Lane) roundabout (adjacent to KFC and Blockbuster), follow the sign to Barnsley Hospital (up Summer Lane) and stay on the main road.
- You will see the hospital ahead.
- From the back of the main Council building, walk along Sackville St on to Gawber Road and keep straight ahead up the hill.
- You will see the hospital on the left after the traffic lights on the crossroad.
If you are choosing to come to hospital by taxi, please ensure you leave plenty of time for your journey in case there is heavy traffic around the hospital.
There are a large number of taxi services available in Barnsley and there is a free phone available in the hospital main reception for a local operator.
Do you have difficulties using public transport?
There are a number of local community schemes operating in the Barnsley area for people who have difficulty using conventional public transport.
If you need wheelchair support or need someone to accompany you, this can also be arranged.
To find out if you are eligible, you will need to register. For more details, please speak to one of the booking centres below:
- Barnsley dial-a-ride and community transport
- Doncaster community transport
- Rotherham community transport
01709 516092 or 01709 517100
- Sheffield community transport
0114 276 6148