We want to help to make your experience as easy as possible and have provided some information and advice on what to expect in the early weeks of your pregnancy and how to look after yourself and your baby.
Recommended reading before meeting your midwife for the first time
- Now you are pregnant
- Your choices in pregnancy – Are you thinking of giving birth at home?
- Screening tests for you and your baby
- Syphilis and pregnancy
Please read through our information leaflets for useful facts and tips for the early weeks of your pregnancy.
Your first appointment
This is also called your ‘Booking appointment’ and usually takes place between your 6th and 10th week of pregnancy. There are important tests that we offer before the tenth week of pregnancy so please contact your midwife early if you have not already got an appointment.
We offer booking appointments at a variety of venues.
- Tip: If you don’t see any markers on your map, please download our PDF Version.
Useful facts and tips for you and your baby in pregnancy
You will be given the option to purchase a scan photograph of your baby. These will cost £2 for one photograph or £5 for three. Please ensure you have the correct change as the ticket machine will only accept £2 coins or silver.
Staying healthy and safe
- Immunisations and rashes in pregnancy
Flu (Influenza), Whooping cough (Pertussis), and German measles (Rubella)
- Group B Streptococcus GBS infection in newborn babies
- MRSA Information for patients
- How often should my baby move?
- Baby on the way, quit today – what you need to know about smoking and pregnancy. For advice or support contact our Barnsley Midwifery Stop Smoking Team. Call or text our midwife Beccy on 07972732650
- Yorkshire Smoke Free Website
- Air travel and pregnancy
Food and nutrition
- Feeding choices for your baby
- Having a healthy diet in pregnancy
- How to ensure you get lots of iron in your diet
- Healthy Start – Are you eligible?
- What vitamins do you and your baby need? Healthy Start Vitamins contain the recommended amounts of Folic Acid, Vitamin D and Vitamin C for you throughout your pregnancy and when breast feeding. You will be offered a free 2 month supply of Healthy Start Vitamins at your first appointment with your Midwife. Your midwife and the antenatal clinic at the hospital has further supplies if you are eligible for the Healthy Start scheme or you can buy them for just £1 from the antenatal clinic reception at the hospital or alternatively at some of the local Barnsley family centres (please telephone the family centre to check).
- Healthy tips and advice for pregnant women, new mums, dads-to-be, and friends and family
- Change 4 Life – eat 4 you not for 2
Keeping fit and healthy
- Why your weight matters during pregnancy and after birth
- Pregnant and using alcohol or drugs
- Looking after your teeth and gums during pregnancy
- Support for all ages to lead healthier and happier lives!
- FitMums – have a look what physical activity sessions are available for you and your baby.
- Your mental health in pregnancy – local support for mental health and free local workshops for mental health.
- Mums in Mind day time – Come along and find outmore about our support group.
Are you looking after your Pelvic Floor Muscles?
41 per cent of women during pregnancy can have some form of stress incontinence (leakage of urine from the bladder when coughing, sneezing, exercising etc). Find out more about your pelvic floor here
If you need help identifying your pelvic floor muscles or you are suffering with stress incontinence before or after the birth of your baby we have specialist help available. Please discuss with your midwife and ask to be referred to our physiotherapists.
Remember pelvic floor exercises are for life not just for Christmas!
Other useful information
- You’d do anything to protect your family – free home safety check
- Healthy child programme – step-by-step care pathway
- Our Chance Baby Buddy App for smartphones. Video below.