Finding it tough living with cancer or after treatment? The HOPE cancer survivors course can help.
The HOPE (Helping Overcome Problems Effectively) cancer survivors course is an interactive, group-based, self-management support course, which runs for 6 weeks, with each weekly session lasting 2.5 hours for groups of between 8 and 12 participants. The course has been developed by Coventry University and Macmillan Cancer Support. There is no cost to attend the course.
Self-management is beneficial in many different ways. If you are a cancer patient or survivor and the kind of person who benefits from the support of others HOPE is ideal for you. HOPE facilitators work through a training programme but more importantly they have either been personally affected by cancer or are a cancer health professional. The HOPE course provides a supportive, friendly group setting which will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to cope with many of the frustrations, fears and sense of isolation that living with and surviving cancer can bring. The course deals with:
- Goal setting and action planning
- Looking for solutions to problems
- Stress management (e.g. mindfulness and relaxation)
- Fatigue management
- Identifying your strengths
- Becoming more positive, grateful and appreciating life more
- Healthy lifestyles (e.g. eating more healthily and physical activity)
- Prioritising the important things in life
- Fear of cancer recurrence
- Body image and sexuality and intimacy
- Communication skills
All of these techniques have been shown through research to have a positive impact on the health and well-being of people living with and affected by cancer.
The confirmed programme dates are as follows (6 week course):
- 19 October – Introductory session – 1.00 – 3.00 pm
- 26 October – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
- 2 November – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
- 16 November – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
- 23 November – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
- 30 November – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
- 7 December – 1.00 – 3.30 pm
The session will be held at Voluntary Action Group, The Core, County Way, Barnsley S70 2JW.
This is the first of a rolling program of HOPE courses, so if these dates do not meet your needs, or if this course becomes full, your name will be kept on a list and you will be contacted as a place becomes available.
To book a place please call Alison Spencer, Barnsley Hospital Cancer Services, on 01226 431303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.