The Enhanced Recovery Pathway is a Department of Health Initiative. The aim of the pathway is to offer you the patient an educational and informative experience. We provide pre-planning to ensure a smooth discharge and multi-professional care to promote a faster recovery with fewer complications.
Our experienced orthopaedic team aim to support your journey from hospital admission to home within three days.
Stages of the Enhanced Recovery Pathway (ERP):
Your GP will refer you to a consultant, specialising in the enhanced recovery pathway
- You will visit the pre-assessment nurse so that we can get to know you and assess if you are medically fit for surgery.
- You will be referred to the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Pre-Operative Group. Here we will answer questions regarding your surgery and rehabilitation. We will teach you exercises to strengthen your joint so that you improve the success of your operation.
- You will be admitted for surgery.
- You are likely to stay hospital for up to three days and will only discharged when you are medically fit and have been passed safe by the therapy team.
- We aim to get you up and out of bed on the same day as surgery.
- You will be referred to the post-operative physiotherapy class in the gymnasium. This is a rehabilitation class where you will be able to share your experiences with other patients.
- You will be reviewed by pre-assessment nurse or consultant at six weeks and three months following your surgery. This is to make sure you are meeting your recovery goals.