NHS England's sexual safety charter is a collaboration with key partners across the healthcare system. Barnsley Hospital is a signatory to this charter and commits to taking and enforcing a zero-tolerance approach to any unwanted, inappropriate and/or harmful sexual behaviours within the workplace, and to the ten core principles and actions listed below.
Those who work, train and learn within the healthcare system have the right to be safe and feel supported at work. We all have a responsibility to ourselves and our colleagues and must act if we witness these behaviours.
As signatories to this charter, we commit to a zero-tolerance approach to any unwanted, inappropriate and/or harmful sexual behaviours towards our workforce. We commit to the following principles and actions to achieve this:
- We will actively work to eradicate sexual harassment and abuse in the workplace.
- We will promote a culture that fosters openness and transparency, and does not tolerate unwanted, harmful and/or inappropriate sexual behaviours.
- We will take an intersectional approach to the sexual safety of our workforce, recognising certain groups will experience sexual harassment and abuse at a disproportionate rate.
- We will provide appropriate support for those in our workforce who experience unwanted, inappropriate and/or harmful sexual behaviours.
- We will clearly communicate standards of behaviour. This includes expected action for those who witness inappropriate, unwanted and/or harmful sexual behaviour.
- We will ensure appropriate, specific, and clear policies are in place. They will include appropriate and timely action against alleged perpetrators.
- We will ensure appropriate, specific, and clear training is in place.
- We will ensure appropriate reporting mechanisms are in place for those experiencing these behaviours.
- We will take all reports seriously and appropriate and timely action will be taken in all cases.
- We will capture and share data on prevalence and staff experience transparently.
These commitments apply to everyone in our organisation equally.