Information for outpatients
Find out what you need to know if you are visiting the hospital.
Our comprehensive range of specialist cardiology clinical inpatient / outpatient services and facilities include:
- Coronary Care Unit
- Cardiolgy Ward
- Inreach cardiology consult service for AMU
- Cardiac Catheter Laboratory for diagnostic Coronary Angiography, Temporary and Permanent pacemaker Implantation.
- Diagnostic Coronary angiography
- Permanent Pacemaker implantation and follow-up service
- Non-invasice Diagnostic testing:
- Electrocardiography (ECG) (Heart Tracings)
- Ambulatory ECG monitoring ECG (Machine you wear whilst being able to undertake daily activities)
- Ambulatory BP monitoring (BP machine you wear whilst being able to undertake daily activities)
- Exercise Testing
- Echocardiography (Heart Ultrasound)
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography (TOE) (An alternative way to perform a heart ultrasound)
- Stress Echocardiogrphy
- CT Coronary angiography
- Nuclear Myocardial perfusion imaging
- Enhanced External Counter-Pulsation (EECP) Therapy for Refractory Angina.
We provide direct access services for GPs, these include:
- Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic
- One stop Heart Failre clinic
- Ambulatory ECG and BP monitoring.
We also offer the below nurse led clinics:
Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic (RACPC) – This clinic is for patients with recent onset of symptoms suggestive of angina. Referral for this service is via your GP only.
Heart Failure Clinic – This is a clinic for patients who have been diagnosed as having heart failure, either new or existing. Referral is via internal doctor or via GP for One stop Heart Failure Clinic.
Post Myocardial Infarction Clinic- Patients are reviewed 6 weeks following an admission with acute myocardial infarction. Referral is via internal doctors.
Elective Cardioversion – This is for day case patients requiring elective cardioversion for atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. This is done once weekly on Thursday mornings with a maximum of 2 patients per session. Referral is via internal Consultants only.
We are also happy to help with any cardiac related problems on an ad-hoc basis. This may be over the telephone or face to face in our clinic room if we feel it would be beneficial. We can also advise on who else can be contacted should we not be able to help or if the problem is outside our area of responsibility.
Accessibility & Travel Information
Click here for accessibility information and directions for visiting the Cardiology ward. This page also includes printable guides for your convenience.