Information for outpatients
Find out what you need to know if you are visiting the hospital.
We have a team of six consultant gastroenterologists in Barnsley Hospital who provide a comprehensive clinical gastroenterology and endoscopic service for the population of Barnsley.
Surgical support is provided by five consultant surgeons; two dealing with upper GI conditions and three dealing with lower GI conditions respectively.
We have established strong links with Leeds and Sheffield where we refer patients with complex liver disease, oesophageal cancers and biliary-pancreatic disease needing surgery
General gastroenterology clinics are running on most days of the week where new and follow up patients are seen. A viral hepatitis has been established to treat patients with viral hepatitis. There are two IBD nurse specialists dealing with patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. An IDA nurse specialist has been appointed to review and investigate patients with iron deficiency anaemia.
The department currently offers the following services:
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy
- Open access gastroscopy and colonoscopy
- Bowel Cancer Screening
- 24 hour Upper GI bleed rota 7 days a week
- Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- Small and large bowel capsule endoscopy
- Oesophageal, enteric, and colonic stenting
- Clinical nutrition
Colorectal Cancer Screening
Our department is an approved endoscopy unit and we are one of only 100 hospitals in the country to offer bowel cancer screening. This service is available to people between 60-69 years of age who will be invited to attend by letter. This service will be augmented by the Bowel Scope screening service, due to start in 2017.
Supporting Diagnostic Services
- Comprehensive radiological investigations including ERCP and cross sectional imaging.
- Comprehensive pathology and histopathology services.
- Breath testing for helicobacter pylori, bacterial overgrowth and lactose intolerance.
Accessibility & Travel Information
Click here for accessibility information and directions for visiting the Gastroenterology ward. This page also includes printable guides for your convenience.