The Assistive Technology Team at Barnsley Hospital is commissioned by NHS England. The team provides specialised Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Environmental Control (EC) services. Assistive Technology (AT) is any product or service designed to enable greater independence, for predominantly, disabled and older people.
Assistive Technology assesses for and provides specialised communication aids and environmental controls. We work with professionals in each local area of Yorkshire and Humber to provide this equipment, in order to enhance the quality of life and independence of individuals with complex disabilities and care needs.
The Assistive Technology Team:
- carry out assessments with each individual and the local team to establish what might be appropriate to support and improve the person’s communication or control
- provide specialised communication aids and environmental control equipment
- support and maintain the equipment provided
- offer advice and support to local professionals and others supporting those using with the potential to use this equipment
- deliver assistive technology training and education to support local professionals (in Yorkshire and Humber), and also to support students training to work in this field
- publish resources and information to support local teams and those using assistive technology
- carry out a wide range of research and development