Barnsley Integrated Diabetes Service
The aim and vision of our new service is to provide your diabetes care closer to home. The service is commissioned by Barnsley Clinical Commissioning Group to improve and enhance diabetes care for people in Barnsley.
We are a partnership between Barnsley Hospital, Barnsley Healthcare Federation, and GP practices.
How is the service run?
This change means diabetes specialist nurses are now part of an integrated service, and your future care will be managed in partnership with you, your own GP practice, and the specialist nurse in your surgery.
Referrals are made via a single point of access system. If you require specialist input with your diabetes care, your GP will arrange this.
You can telephone for advice if you are a patient who has already been referred.
You can leave feedback about the service online via NHS Choices.
Do you have Type 2 diabetes?
Barnsley Integrated Diabetes Service is offering a free online course over six weeks with all the information you need to manage your diabetes.
The course is based on the latest scientific evidence and can help you to improve your health and quality of life. You may even be able to put your diabetes into remission.
The ONLINE Xpert Diabetes Course consists of six one-hour sessions over the six weeks and is provided via a partnership between Barnsley Hospital, Barnsley Healthcare Federation and GP practices.
This course run by Diabetes Associates and dieticians Amarjit Birdi, Natalie Taylor, Jennifer Thawley and Daniel Kelly can be attended in the comfort of your own home without the need to travel to a classroom and you will still get the benefits of group learning.
- You will learn as part of a small group with opportunities to ask questions and discuss the weekly topics further to gain a better understanding of diabetes
- All you need is internet access and an email address
- We currently use Microsoft Teams for the online group sessions so your device will need to allow you to do video calls. Instructions on how to use Teams will be sent to you if you choose to do this course
- You will need to watch a series of short videos and read the book provided, in your own time
- Each week prior to your group session we send you a short video to watch which will support your learning along with information from the book. These relate to the weekly topics covered in the group sessions