Orthodontics is a speciality treating disorders of dental and facial growth and development.
We work with oral & maxillofacial and plastic surgeons, along with restorative dentists. We treat patients with a high need of care, to correct their dental and facial aesthetics, as well as the dental occlusion (a person's 'bite').
We accept the referral of patients with the following:
- patients requiring orthognathic surgery for correction of dentofacial disharmony
- patients with ectopic or impacted teeth, excluding third molars
- patients requiring a combination of orthodontic and restorative treatment, in particular those patients with missing teeth, either congenitally or due to trauma
- other dental anomalies, such as microdontia, macrodontia, delayed eruption, retained or infra-occluded deciduous teeth and supernumerary teeth
- assessment of patients receiving a general anaesthetic, such as those requiring extraction of first molars, where there might be future orthodontic implications, or those patients with learning disabilities, or medically compromised patients
- patients with cleft lip and palate or cranio-facial problems
- patients requiring a second opinion
Referrals are accepted from GPs, dentists and other hospital departments.
We work in a self-contained unit alongside our oral & maxillofacial and restorative colleagues. We run outpatient clinics for new patient assessments, treatment. We run combined clinics with the oral & maxillofacial surgeons and occasionally, restorative dental colleagues.