Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health and it has proven benefits if you are waiting for surgery. If you stop smoking before coming to hospital this could:
- Reduce the time needed to stay in hospital
- Reduce the likelihood of being admitted or re-admitted to hospital
- Reduce the chance of complications during and after surgery or anaesthesia
- Increase the rate of healing and decrease scarring
For further information and guidance on smoking visit: nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking
You can also get in touch with Yorkshire Smokefree – who offer free support. You can contact them through their website or call them on 0800 612 0011 (free from landlines) or 0330 660 1166 (free from most mobiles).
Whilst visiting hospital, you can be supported to quit smoking by our dedicated QUIT team, who will offer you:
- A nicotine replacement therapy to reduce cravings
- A visit from a Tobacco Treatment Advisor to discuss your smoking and support you with a quit attempt
- A referral to Yorkshire SmokeFree to start your quit attempt once you return home
Please remember when visiting hospital, our grounds and all surrounding roads are smoke free.
Get fitter for surgery
of your mind