If you have any concerns around your child’s education, their ability to access education or are looking for extra support from their setting, we recommend contacting your schools Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) in the first instance. All settings are required to have an appointed SENCo who is responsible for coordinating the people, processes and plans required to support children’s needs in school.

Child sat in class room facing teacher

Additional support in school

Although not every child needs additional support in school, we are aware that some do. If you feel that this is the case for your child we would recommend having a discussion with their class teacher and/or the school SENCo. School will then be able to explore your concerns, undertake observations or assessments as needed and pull together a plan to support your child as required. This may at times include assessments and advice from other services such as the Educational Phycologist team or Social Communication and Interaction team.

SEN Support Plans

If additional support is required to meet a child's needs in school, an SEN support plan is likely to be started which will use a graduated approach to supporting a child or young person with SEN. You may hear staff talking about "assess-plan-do-review" cycles which form part of the SEN support planning. Your school SENCo will explain this in further detail with you and as parents/carers, you should be involved in the planning and reviewing of these plans.

What are Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)?

EHCP plans are for children and young people with special educational needs who require support beyond that which an educational setting can normally provide as part of their core offer. The plan is a legally binding document which outlines the educational, health and social care needs of a child as well as the provision to meet these needs. An EHCP is often initiated by the SENCo from your child's nursery, school or college but can also be started by parents.

Choosing a education setting for your child

Many parents of autistic children have difficulties finding the right school. Here we talk about finding local schools, your child’s rights, the different types of schools, and how to get the most out of school visits.   

School admissions and transfers

Funded places for younger children

There are a range of options available to families in Barnsley with younger children including free childcare for children aged two and 30 hours free childcare for three to four year olds. More information is available via the local authorities webpage using the link below.


  • Barnsley Education Inclusion Services
    The inclusion services are made up of a team of professionally trained psychologists, specialist teachers and practitioners and offer advice, training and support for children and young people with SEN.
  • Barnsley SENDIASS
    Barnsley SENDIASS is a statutory service provided by the local authority, Barnsley Council. They provide information, advice and support on SEND related issues and work with children, young people and parents and carers of children with SEND.

How can Barnsley SENDIASS help me?

  • Do you or your child need help to learn?

  • Do you have concerns or questions relating to SEND?

  • Do you want to know how your nursery, school or college can help?

  • Do you want to understand how Barnsley Council, social care or the NHS can help?

We can talk to you about your concerns and questions and guide you to relevant information. We can also support and help you to put your thoughts, wishes, feelings and aspirations forward.

Email: or call: 01226 787234


  • Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA)
    IPSEA are a registered charity which offers free and independent legal based information, advice and support to help to get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities. IPSEA has a suite of free downloadable guides, resources and template letters available to parents and carers. These guides are complemented by a free Advice Line and Call-in Helpline which provide legally based information and next step advice on any educational issue that is a result of a child's SEND.

Did this information help you?

  • Page last reviewed: 8 January 2024
  • Next review due: 6 January 2025