In the event of an ICE system failure, the reverse side of the ICE stationary should be completed manually - and legibly - until the system is restored.
It is essential that request forms are always completed in full with the all of the following information:
- the patient’s full name and date of birth
- the patient’s unit number
- the requesting location
- the name of the consultant or GP
- patient’s NHS number (GP patients)
- patient’s address (GP patients)
- tests required
- brief, relevant clinical details
- the requesting doctor’s name (printed) and an associated bleep or telephone number
- the date and time of the sample
Failure to provide all of this information may lead to samples not being tested or delays in results being returned.
Electronic ordering will provide most of this information automatically. Brief clinical details, however, need to be manually entered.
The request form must be accompanied by the correct sample - which should be transported to the laboratory sealed within the special specimen bag, and attached to the request form.