In this section you will find service updates, referral forms and newsletters for professionals. We have also collated links to some useful websites and resources for professionals working with children and young people and also suggested a reading list that may be of interest.
|Service Updates||Making a referral||Newsletters||Resources|
[14.10.22] ! Important Service Update: Sleep !
[07.10.22] South Yorkshire Autism Faire
[02.08.22] Dr Dierckx joins the team
Please note: referral forms are only for the use of professionals/agencies supporting a family and can not be completed by parent/carer. All self referrals will automatically be rejected.
Referral to community Paediatrics
This form can be used for:
This form is not used for:
1: Complex Enuresis
1: Autism: For social communication concerns or if you suspect autism, then please complete the ASDAT referral form below.
2: Behaviour: We do not assess isolated behaviour difficulties.
Notes to referrers:
To view our referral criteria, please use the following link click here.
All Community Paediatric referrals made not using this e-system will automatically be returned to sender.
Please provide detailed examples of your reasons for referral in order it to be triaged – lack of information is likely to result in referral been rejected.
*Please note, this may not work using Internet Explorer.
Referral to Autism Assessment Service
- Please ensure you follow the guidance and checklist given at the start of the referral to avoid referrals been returned.
- Please do not give this form to parents to complete. This is for completion by professionals only!
- The referral must be signed by parents and an active EHA in place with a clear evidence of how the child’s needs have been addressed.
- Referrals are to be submitted in full – it is not the ASDAT teams responsibility to chasing missing information nor can we hold part referrals.
Resources for professionals
The resources below have been collated from other organisations, charities and services for your convenience. Barnsley hospital is not responsible for the content of these documents.
- Community Paediatrics Newsletter – Autumn 2021
This edition has an introduction to the team, our service and what we assess.
- Community Paediatrics Newsletter – Winter 2021
This edition looks Nocturnal enuresis.
Information and resources for professionals
- NHS UK
Some general information around anxiety in children
- Young Minds
A Parents guide to supporting children with anxiety
- Autism Tool Box
A fee online resource developed to support the inclusion of autistic learners in Scottish early learning, childcare and schools.
UK’s national autism research charity offers some good information around autism and anxiety.
- The Anxious Child – A booklet for parents and carers wanting to know more about anxiety in children and young people.
- National Autistic Society: Professional Practice
Here you’ll find a selection of articles and opinion pieces written by professionals and autistic people who share their knowledge, good practice, research and advice for anyone working with autistic people.
- Autism Alert Card Application From (South Yorkshire Police)
- Autism and Education: Good practice guide for L A guide for local authorities and schools in England
- Autism resource pack for school
- Autism sport and physical activity booklet
- Understanding the Barnsley autism assessment process
Chromosome and gene disorders
- Unique: Understanding rare Chromosome and Gene Disorders
Unique provides support, information and networking to families affected by rare chromosome and gene disorders.
Early Help Assessments (EHA)
- Early help: A Practitioners Guide
- Early help: Early Help Surgery
- Early help: Toolkit for practitioners
- Early Help: Training and support for practitioners
- Elsa Support
Elsa Support is a website which provides downloadable resources that support the teaching of emotional literacy or emotional intelligence by ELSA’s. A lot of the resources on this website are perfectly suitable for all teaching professionals to use and there is also a parent section with resources suitable for parents to use.
Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- National Organisation for FASD
The National Organisation for FASD provides support to people affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), their families and communities; campaigns to raise public awareness; and promotes relevant policies and practices.
- The Children’s Sleep Charity
The Sleep Charity, incorporating The Sleep Council, provide advice and support to empower the nation to sleep better.
- The Teen Sleep Hub
If you’re looking for advice on how to sleep better, would like tips on tweaking your routine or help to understand the science behind your sleep patterns, you’ll find it all here.
Speech and Language
Afasic seeks to raise awareness and to create better services and provision for children and young people with speech and language impairments. It also provides information and training for parents – and professionals – and produce a range of publications. Members meet in local groups in many areas of the UK.
- I CAN
I CAN is the children’s communication charity.
- The Hanen Centre
Advice and resources to support you to help children to communicate.
- ERIC: The Children’s Bowel & Bladder Charity
Tackling the challenges of bowel and bladder conditions together, for young lives free of shame and fear. Training & resources available for professional working with children.
- Bladder & Bowel UK
Bladder & Bowel UK provide a wide range of resources to support professionals who work with children and adults with continence issues
- Toileting – Information for professionals and carers: toilet training children with autism and developmental disabilities
- Top tips for toilet training at home & in school
- Smearing: some basic advice
Recommended reading list
- Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
By Rudy Simone – ISBN: 9781849058261
- Autism in the Early Years: A Practical Guide (Resource Materials for Teachers) [2nd edition] By Val Cumine – ISBN: 978041548373
- CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents: Over 220 Worksheets & Exercises for Trauma, ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression & Conduct Disorders
By Lisa Phifer – ISBN:9781683730750
- Girls and Autism: Educational, Family and Personal Perspectives
By: Barry Carpenter, Francesca Happé, Jo Egerton, Baroness Sheila Hollins
- Having Fun with Feelings on the Autism Spectrum: A CBT Activity Book for Kids Age 4-8 By: Michelle Garnett – ISBN: 9781787753273
- How to Support and Teach Children on the Autism Spectrum
By: Dave Sherratt – ISBN: 9781855033900
- Kids in the syndrome mix of ADHD, LD, Autism Spectrum, Tourette’s, Anxiety and More! [2nd edition] By Martin L. Kutscher – ISBN: 9781849059671
- Sensory Activities for Autism: Fun Learning Games for Autism and Sensory Disorders By Mary McPhee – ISBN: 9780995157668
- Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism & Related Disorders: A Comprehensive Guide for Parents & Teachers By: Maria Wheeler – ISBN: 9781885477453
- Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old. By Sarah Hendricks – ISBN: 1849055475